MISSION

I am a New Yorker who by a universal mistake was born in Russia and had to cross continent and then traverse US
to finally find a city with a heartbeat that matched mine.
No other city embraced me. In Moscow I was too outspoken, in Miami too fast, in Chicago too daring.
New York City gave me life.
Its heart and spirit will be forever young as its blood is
always renewed with fresh talent. Dreamers and critics, romantics and seekers, performers and transformers from all over the world strive to make a mark in NYC. Creative renewal is in the air we breathe and every generation of New Yorkers has its own art, nightlife, and social scenes that evolve continuously. Keeping up with all events that are shaping this city is a challenge, but I will try to bring you the fascinating, the beautiful and the outrageous in New York City nightlife with an emphasis on underground electronic music scene which happens to be my favorite fantasy land.
Expect the unexpected

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Bitch is Back

I found my bitchy little muse exactly where I lost her, on the dance floor of Sullivan Room past Friday. A late spontaneous invitation saved me from another quiet Friday night with my Netflix choice de jour. It was raining monsoon style but stopped right in time for me to wear something fabulous. Hippie Gypsy went off to dance!
The night was about break dancers, the crowd's age was between 21 and 50 and everyone was enjoying the grove. Duece Martinez has clearly been inspired by Larry Levan and kicked off his set with a delightful homage to the master's undying legacy. As "Right In The Socket" was uniting the dancers for a night of unprecedented fun, I thought about how many DJs Larry Levan has inspired (at least 20).
I am too young to have been in Paradise Garage and I always felt I missed the best party NYC has ever seen. But the spirit of Garage lives on and Duece Martinez showed me what it was like to be there. Duece's style, although influenced by Larry and J. Vasquez as well, is uniquely his own. Deep House infused with tribal, soul and right touch of disco; technically perfect, soul inspiring and with buildups to spare. He didn't let us leave the dance floor.
Dancers were furiously flying, twirling and stepping. My heart was overwhelmed with joy and as I danced inside the infamous dance circle, holding my own ground, I noticed that my muse was making her way back to me shaking her tail feather as well. Aaaaaah reunited at last... I am thinking about getting her a leash and some handcuffs.
Solid true house with soulful percussion reigned; deep grove intricately interwoven with surprising vocals: Music is My Life, I feel Love, Music Makes Me Dance, Women Beat Their Men and many more...
Besides dancing everyone was mingling, exchanging compliments and striking conversations. Perfectly executed House party, Larry himself would have been proud.
As for me: I danced all my troubles away, found my muse, scored a date, and recovered my deeply rooted belief in House Music's higher purpose.
"True House Music is an instrument of God and if this instrument is used wisely it can change your soul"
Thank you Duece!

No comments:

Post a Comment