Great crowd, great DJ, great sound, great club...Where? Long Island City! Wait wait wait...did you say Long Island City? Uh huh
We might be onto something here...
Night: Friday
The place: Island Lounge, LIC. Just as the name suggests Island has a breezy light energy that makes you remember Mediterranean nights. Open space with two floors and a white-green interior, lots of candles and a solid sound system to rival any Manhattan mega club.
The crowd: 21-40 and very diverse, I saw seasoned music aficionados that used to attend raves and there were many rookies just getting into this whole scene. All mixed rather well and whole place could not stop moving.
Dancing, jumping, screaming, clapping, the crowd was on fire!
The DJ: Behrouz
The Verdict: Courteous staff at the door, at the bar and coat check. Nice bouncers with a relaxed vibe. Excellent sound system, although when we walked in there was just a hint of echo. Comfortable place, even when it got packed I didn't get this "I can't breathe/move feeling".
Indicant started with very clean pure house beats and some vocals, as crowd was still gathering, talking and getting drinks. His set was good overall except towards the end he dutifully succumbed to electro tech and people stopped dancing.
Behrouz took over and got right into it with a basic warm up beat that flowed right into tribal house where he kept it for a while. Lots of vocals with a little retro: "Keep Control" thrown in for a good measure, the beat was such that every one's feet moved in unison.
It felt personal as if he was talking to us and I have not heard that type of playing since Junior Vasquez's golden days.
After seeing the crowd fully in sync, he took us to a little deeper, darker tribal.
Clapping, screaming and whistling erupted often prompting smiles from the master. He danced himself, and the crowd watched him propelling more clapping. Last part of the set was good speed progressive peppered with a touch of trance. I had to leave to go to an after party so I didn't get to hear the closing song. Shame on me :)
Hope you enjoyed my broadcast...
Kisses to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment