
We are glitter because we dress up in costumes to go out on a regular Friday. We dress up because we really should be costume designers or we already are. We dress up to entertain ourselves and everyone who sees us. We dress up because this city not only allows it but actually encourages it. And in some cases we undress because our bodies are just too hot to keep under wraps! We just want to add a spark, to try something different and to get your opinion. Because creativity needs an audience.
Try to do the same in Salt Lake City without being cast away to some permanent basement or better yet a mental institution. Freedom of speech and freedom of self expression which is actually a derivative of the former reins here in Gotham town. Case in point last weekend parties: Mr. Black's party @ Rebel Friday night. Imagine walking into count Dracula's Weekend retreat with crystal chandeliers everywhere, plush velvet couches begging for decadence, walls painted in juicy hues. You better be dressed to seduce for this spectacle! Oh they were beautiful and so well put together, the makeup, the hair and accessories, the outfits! Insane, gorgeous, and very detailed.
Unfortunately in terms of music innovation Mr. Black's party is just a pretty runway show. 3 DJ's and I was bored to tears. Slight movement on the dance floor but really nothing infectious at all. I spoke to one patron comfortably dressed in black latex suit and he actually takes a trek all the way from Philly just for this party, which made me think back to 1998 where spirit as such was very alive and kicking in Twilo. So, the spirit is here but music is not.
Oh look it's Saturday night and by all means I was supposed to be at Sullivan's 7 year celebration but I got intercepted right around the block when a club kid let me in on a secret: Junior Vasquez is playing @ Life! What? Junior is my all time favorite and I haven't heard about this party? That's not right...
Aaaah sweet memories of club Life! Our weekends started there on Thursday night and finished there on Monday morning with breaks in between for Tunnel Fridays and of course for papa Junior himself at Twilo Saturdays. But for the most part it was Thursday at Life just for starters and then Saturday with Junior. Truth be told that things that Junior Vasquez was doing at Twilo turned me into a music snob. When was the last time the DJ kept you from going to the bathroom for an hour because of the way he played? Because you couldn't miss one beat?
The last time the whole dance floor convulsed in orgasmic ecstasy? Exactly...
I used to tell my friends that everything besides Twilo was a waste of time and I think I was right, I am glad I had a chance to witness it because you can't compare that scene with anything that is happening now. Anything will pale in comparesment to Twilo and Vasquez!
Junior takes the decks @ Life and tunes the sound from hollow to cleanest, balanced, juicy, thumping in 15 minutes flat. Music was perfect, he was working on one track that night and he played it 3 times to tweak it out as I got lost in the dance. Crowd was great, generous, spiritual... good crowd. But there is no life @ Life, the place is dull and bartenders make up drink prices as they go along. Not sure if this is a good place for residency, but NYC needs a Junior Vasquez Saturday night residency to bring the innovation of underground house music scene back in focus. Things just aint the same without Mr. Vasquez Saturday extravaganza!!!
Question is does he want to breathe some life into what has been very lackluster underground scene? What does papa Junior want? Ummm, ummm, ummm, ummm
Try to do the same in Salt Lake City without being cast away to some permanent basement or better yet a mental institution. Freedom of speech and freedom of self expression which is actually a derivative of the former reins here in Gotham town. Case in point last weekend parties: Mr. Black's party @ Rebel Friday night. Imagine walking into count Dracula's Weekend retreat with crystal chandeliers everywhere, plush velvet couches begging for decadence, walls painted in juicy hues. You better be dressed to seduce for this spectacle! Oh they were beautiful and so well put together, the makeup, the hair and accessories, the outfits! Insane, gorgeous, and very detailed.
Unfortunately in terms of music innovation Mr. Black's party is just a pretty runway show. 3 DJ's and I was bored to tears. Slight movement on the dance floor but really nothing infectious at all. I spoke to one patron comfortably dressed in black latex suit and he actually takes a trek all the way from Philly just for this party, which made me think back to 1998 where spirit as such was very alive and kicking in Twilo. So, the spirit is here but music is not.
Oh look it's Saturday night and by all means I was supposed to be at Sullivan's 7 year celebration but I got intercepted right around the block when a club kid let me in on a secret: Junior Vasquez is playing @ Life! What? Junior is my all time favorite and I haven't heard about this party? That's not right...
Aaaah sweet memories of club Life! Our weekends started there on Thursday night and finished there on Monday morning with breaks in between for Tunnel Fridays and of course for papa Junior himself at Twilo Saturdays. But for the most part it was Thursday at Life just for starters and then Saturday with Junior. Truth be told that things that Junior Vasquez was doing at Twilo turned me into a music snob. When was the last time the DJ kept you from going to the bathroom for an hour because of the way he played? Because you couldn't miss one beat?
The last time the whole dance floor convulsed in orgasmic ecstasy? Exactly...
I used to tell my friends that everything besides Twilo was a waste of time and I think I was right, I am glad I had a chance to witness it because you can't compare that scene with anything that is happening now. Anything will pale in comparesment to Twilo and Vasquez!
Junior takes the decks @ Life and tunes the sound from hollow to cleanest, balanced, juicy, thumping in 15 minutes flat. Music was perfect, he was working on one track that night and he played it 3 times to tweak it out as I got lost in the dance. Crowd was great, generous, spiritual... good crowd. But there is no life @ Life, the place is dull and bartenders make up drink prices as they go along. Not sure if this is a good place for residency, but NYC needs a Junior Vasquez Saturday night residency to bring the innovation of underground house music scene back in focus. Things just aint the same without Mr. Vasquez Saturday extravaganza!!!
Question is does he want to breathe some life into what has been very lackluster underground scene? What does papa Junior want? Ummm, ummm, ummm, ummm
No comments:
Post a Comment